A good agent….
- Cares more about your priorities and your money then their commission. As your fiduciary representative, that is actually an agents legal obligation. (And in a business based on reputation and referrals, its also smart business.)
- Negotiates effectively and, at your instruction, agressivley to achieve the best possible price and terms.
- Never makes decisions for you nor pushes you to make decisions a certain way, but lays out all the information, options and strategies for your consideration.
- Ensures you understand whats happening, whats necessary and whats at stake at every step
- Tells you the truth as best as can be discerned – positives, negatives, upsides, downsides, changes in the situation….even what you may not want to hear.
- Offers and array of qualified professional resources – inspectors, lawyers, escrow and loan agents,etc – and advises you when their counsel is required.
- Coordinates, manages and controls – based upon your decisions – every aspect of the process. Always with an eye to protecting your interests.
- Knows the market in your geographic area and property type inside and out, its values, market trends, neighborhoods, pros and cons, legal issues and other agents.
- Gives you the time and attention you need
- Keeps their promise. Works hard. Works to accommodate your timeline.
- Has excellent client references
- Ideally, loves the business of real estate – because its simply more enjoyable to work with someone who enjoys what they do.
The quality of the agent working on your behalf – his or her competence, integrity, work ethic and commitments to your interest – can make an enormous difference in the outcome of your home purchase or sale: in money, in stress, in future happiness.